At The Rode, we strive to maximize job creation for local women transitioning out of homelessness, while at the same time, produce locally to minimize the negative impact production has on the environment.
The women are hungry for creative, inspiring work and are eager for any chance they can get to improve their lives. We are honored to be a part of their journey!
Most production in our industry is outsourced overseas for cheap labor and has always been an issue we have tried to solve, as it’s not sustainable. After seeing a staggering 26% of homeless women in Los Angeles are actively looking for work, we immediately knew there was an opportunity, right here in our own backyard.
The women are on-boarded with the proper tools and training for a positive experience in the workplace, gaining effective skills, work ethics, and empowerment, to set themselves up for success within their positions at The Rode and later in life within other organizations.
Magdalena hand-making beaded necklaces
Equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace are core values of The Rode.
- We do not discriminate against women at The Rode or those who apply. Regardless of their education, past work experience, or history, we welcome all women who are looking for a new road in life.
- All employees are given an equal opportunity in the position they apply for. We encourage and empower our women to learn new skills and find their niche within a position they will enjoy and feel comfortable in. These factors will help them grow personally and professionally.
- Fair wage to directly improve their quality of life and give the women the same opportunities as someone who may have been given the resources or access.
We are grateful for Mother Earth’s natural resources and are committed to doing our part to control local sourcing and manufacturing in ways that are environmentally friendly & socially responsible.
Infused with social responsibility and sentiment, our products embody slow-fashion and are made to last. The materials used in our products are sustainably sourced and quality tested in the USA.
- Having a local and controlled supply chain allows us to avoid outsourced shipments for materials and samples coming from overseas, minimizing our CO2 footprint.
- Handmade production creates unique products and leads to more jobs, whereas factories with mass production limits job opportunities.
- Handmade production means less energy and emissions being used from large machinery.
- Low waste policy: By controlling production locally, we can produce on quicker lead-times, allowing us to cut-to-order, leaving no overstock.
- We are able to manage ethical workforce practices and ensure safe working conditions for our women.
Hand wash, Wooden Summer